Wisi Antenna Relay BEFORE Same Relay AFTER restoration
It appears hard to believe that these are the same relay. The multiple telescoping sections of automotive antennas are NOT watertight. As moisture is squeezed through the intersecting sections, especially when retracting the antenna mast during a rain, water is able to enter the motor mechanism and cause nasty corrosion. This WISI remote antenna relay bathed in rain water for several years in its captive gear housing. I was able to restore the entire antenna fitting a rare 1955 Mercedes 300 SL.
The armature was RE-Wound
All parts cleaned and restored
Retro Carello Flasher Relay
First new posts in several months
Here is a typical blend of the New and the old, CARELLO no longer makes the three-prong flasher relay for Ferrari. The original bi-metallic mechanical relay is "Load sensitive". That is, It blinks faster if the turn signal lamps are higher wattage ( Brighter). Yet, the original flasher relay below is also very delicate- and prone to failure. Above, a modern "Electronic" flasher is installed in the original flasher canister. It blinks at the same "european sanctioned" rate, no matter what the wattage of the bulbs in the circuit.
Notice that stamped onto the outside of the original can is the message
DO NOT DROP. I think that this testified to the fact that the original 1960's mechanical mechanism at the left is delicate, and prone to eventual failure . The replacement electronic relay from Napa Auto Parts has had its clear plastic canister removed, and its base was ground round to slide perfectly inside of the aluminum canister. Jumper wires were simply stripped and soldered to the original trimmed-off male spade lug terminals of the NAPA unit, and soldered to their corresponding original Ferrari "Bullet" connector base. Thus, all modern internal components are completely hidden within the original classic Carello Can.
Go to GALLERY to see photos many new projects completed. I have been SO BUSY recently, that adding new images has not been top priority. Yet, take a look here and there to see what's new. Thanks!
CAVIS combination switch restored. This is more typical of Fiats than the Vitaloni units I restore for Ferrari. This one fits Fiat Dino.
Rolls Royce Oil Cooler Hoses. Even the steel lines here are newly mandrel bent. We copied the originals that were damaged in a collision
Alfa Washer Fluid Tank. The original plastic was "crystallized" it was so bad! After repairs in Methacrylate Plastic, the entire unit was coated in clear synthetic rubberized coating to give it original look and feel.
Sun Roof Cable Repair. Die cast Zinc alloy can be difficult to weld and retain strength. That is why the pieces were laced with stainless steel wire under the weld.
Style is style
Magneti Marelli alternator brush holder recast.
Alfa Romeo window crank knobs. I now have a mold. High temperature urethane "Task 8" used.
Spark Plug connectors. These are actually cast around Bosch VW connectors--to get the hardware inside, and have the 1938 BMW exterior.
Ignition key and tumbler, Datsun Roadster 2000
Turn signal switch, 1969 Thunderbird having sequential rear signal lamps. Plastic shrinks in time. Through rivets loosen and lose conductivity. Soldering can be tricky.
Ferrari column switches. Here are 4 more of several hundred that I have restored.
As kids, my brothers and I were amazed to find that the Chinese had actually invented gunpowder, to our collective disappointment.. Our suburban neighborhood windows resounded with the pulses of shock waves, and more often were pierced by BB's, arrows, and other launched projectiles.
Naturally, the first instinct, and order of business when learning to operate a lathe was to turn out a cannon!.
Fortunately, these loud beginnings were tempered in time.. John is now a craftsman and general contractor at Ananda near Grass Valley, CA where his skills as an inventor makes him the "go-to" person for all that makes shelter more comfortable. and meet code.
Look closely at the gold lines in this cast iron piece. Click on the photo to enlarge it. These are the bronze allow brazed fusion lines that remain after machining the surfaces back to original dimensions. I used special cast iron brazing alloy from Muggy Weld .com in this repair. Click on photos below to see the various stages of repair. There was no need to replace the broken out original cast iron piece pictured below. Substituting it with a larger steel piece made more structural sense.
These Stainless Steel glove box tabs were stamped from dies made from steel and epoxy resin. The cost of these dies is reasonable compared to the cost of having steel dies cut from solid steel that would otherwise break a deal for such a short production run.
Photos below show that the more complex positive and negative shapes we CAST from the original sample part in high compression resistant iron filled epoxy resin. The material held up well enough to stamp several hundred more stainless steel shapes.